Monday, February 28, 2011

Tonsillectomy

We returned to visit the ENT and his tonsils had grown since the last visit and we felt like it was time to do something about it. I finally felt good about it and felt like it was time so we scheduled the Tonsillectomy. After much worry and sleepless nights on my part I am happy to report that it went smoothly and we are on day 5 of recovery now! He has done so well and has been so brave. I finally asked Ryan yesterday to look in his mouth and verify that they did do the surgery because he has done way way better than expected and maybe they forgot to even do it! Luckily for us they did get the surgery done and our boy is just a trooper! The only problems we have had are trying to get him to take his medicine without a huge fight and trying to deal with the cabin fever of us all being cooped up for so long! This one has been hard on all of us because we are not home bodies and like to be on the go!

He was such a brave boy and didn't get scared of anything that happened pre-surgery and wasn't scared of any of the doctors. I did pre-warn him that he would have to put on a hospital "shirt" because I thought he would put up a fight about having to put on what looked like a dress! Luckily he loved his hospital "shirt" and was eager to put it on! They also removed his adenoids while they were in there and we were told they were huge also. The doctor reported that he was probably blocked from receiving about 15-20% of his air flow because of the tonsils! He has no snoring now and is the quietest sleeper ever. I now have to feel his back to make sure he is still breathing whereas before I could hear him breathing from the hallway with his bedroom door SHUT!

This one is out of order but he loved getting to ride in the wagon when we were all done. The nurse mentioned getting the wagon to take him to the car and then got sidetracked so she was taking a long time. Ryan said to Jack "I will just carry you buddy" and Jack quickly insisted that he had said he wanted to ride in the wagon! Just then the nurse showed up with his chariot and he quickly dove in. Probably his favorite part of the entire day... although he doesn't look too happy about it!
This was just shortly after coming out of his anesthesia and he LOVED that there was a movable TV less than a foot away from his face. He had a great morning sipping unlimited icees and watching cartoons to his hearts content!It was so cute when they were ready to roll him back to the operating room they put up the sides of the bed and told Jack it was a race car and he thought it was so cool he had a race car bed! He didn't even get concerned at all when they took him away from us because he was so excited about his race car bed!

He had the sweetest nurse who just loved him and was so nice to him. She made the experience really great and he actually cried when we told him it was time to go home. He exclaimed "But they haven't even taken my tonsils out yet!" He really was having a great time being spoiled rotten by everyone!


Recovery has gone well and we are hoping it continues on that path. He gets really annoyed at us when we have to wake him up to give him pain medicine but I have promised him that when this is all done we can go to the jump house AND Chuck E. Cheese's! I most certainly will have to hold true to those promises because he reminds me everday and asks about every ten minutes if he is better enough so he can go there!
He is already back to pestering his sister so I hope that's a sign that we are close to being back to normal!





2 comments:

Kings said...

that is so sweet. i bet it was so much harder on you than him :) i'm glad it went good!

J♥M said...

I'm sure glad that it all went better than you had expected! You'll be really glad you did it now! He looks so brave in those pics!