Wednesday, April 15, 2009

3 Weeks Old??

Where has the time gone? I can't believe that she is already more than three weeks old.

Even though these last few weeks have been crazy and very busy we have survived and I think I can actually say that it has been easier than I expected. We are learning how to handle life with 2 little ones but we are surviving and it does get easier every day!

Since this is the only journal I keep I just want to write really quick about Ella's birthday so I don't forget any of the details.

I was scheduled for induction on March 23rd at 7am. Ryan and I left Jack home sleeping with Grandma Rosie and Ryan insisted we swing by McDonalds on the way to the hospital. They had told me I could eat breakfast before I came to the hospital but I was so nervous I only managed to eat half a nutri-grain bar. I would later come to regret not stuffing my face because after 12 hours of labor and therefore 12 hours of no food- I was starving! We arrived at the hospital and after getting all settled in we were started on the pitocin around 8am. Around 11am the doctor came and broke my water which promptly had me asking if I could have my epidural already. I am all for not feeling any pain during labor. After suffering through the epidural process and the first needle not going in right I finally was feeling great and ready for Ella to arrive. Unfortunately she wasn't ready to come out yet. I was making hardly any progress even though the pitocin was turned up full blast and I started getting really upset because I just knew I was going to end up having a c-section. Around 6pm the nurse that had been with us all day checked me again before she left and I was still only dialated to a 6. When the tears started coming out of my eyes she promptly replied "okay maybe a 6 plus." I said "you are only saying that to make me feel better" which she chuckled in agreement. I insisted that my Mom and Ryan go get something to eat because I was upset and wanted to wallow in my own misery but they declined and stayed with me to cheer me up. Around 6:45 my Mom was preparing to watch her favorite show Dancing with the Stars and she jokingly said that I couldn't have the baby while it was on. I said don't worry we are going to be here much longer than that but as I was saying that I started to feel something funny. I mentioned it and Ry told me to call the nurse but I figured it was probably nothing. Pretty soon I was feeling it again and I was just about to call the nurse when she came through the door. She said that they had saw the baby's heartbeat dropping on the monitor and that usually happens when they are ready to be born. She checked me again and stated "you're complete." What???? Are you serious??? She started pulling the room apart to get ready to have the baby and I am thinking inside "girl, you've got a couple more hours to prepare before this thing is making its way out." I had to push more than 2 hours with Jack so to my complete shock after my first push my Mom starts gushing about how cute she is. So to my surprise she was born at 7:12 after just a few minutes of pushing and my Mom only missed a few minutes of her show! The best news of all though was that I managed to have her in time to still catch dinner being served. I then enjoyed the best tasting mystery meat that I have ever had. Still don't know what I ate and any other day I would have never even considered tasting it but at that moment it was delicious!

The night before we went to the hospital.Terrible picture but I love Ryan's look of disgust on his face. At least he didn't pass out!
There's nothing like the first time you see the little alien that has been growing inside you for nine months! It really is amazing to finally see the face of the little person you have been growing!

6 comments:

The Fabicks said...

WOW!! I can't beleive that Ella is 3 weeks already. I am so glad that juggling 2 little ones is getting easier each day...That was quite the delivery story! You are a trooper. I hope when the day comes that I have my baby that I am as tough and "relaxed" as you were. I LOVE "watching" Jack and Ella grow on here. I feel like I am right there in UT. :) I am still figuring out my summer plans.So I will let you know if I can squeeze in a visit. :O)

The Sutherland Family said...

She is SO sweet! We have had a little gift for her for about 3 weeks so I'll have to bring it by so I can see that cute baby already!

Reddington Clan said...

It is fun to hear your labor story!! You really need to move closer to me! I remember the first time I got both of the kids ready by myself. It felt like the greatest accomplishment to me. Totoally felt like Super Mom!! She is adorable!

Bateman's Latest Kill said...

I remeber the dry plain turkey sandwich at 2 a.m being the best thing I had ever eaten to this day. I hope things go just as easy this go for me too if not I am going to leave rude comments on your blog.

Gina, Brandon, and Cooper said...

What a sweet labor story! Sounds like she wanted to time it perfectly for her Momma to eat and her Grandma Rosie to watch her show!! What a considerate little baby!!

Em said...

that is a good story, I am so glad that it went fairly well. she really is so cute, and I am so glad that we get to sit back and watch her grow up. thanks for being such a great friend. do worry I still don't know where my son came from either.