Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Happy Birthday to...

Jack! I can't believe my little "whirly bird" is already turning one. Where did that year go?






Looking back I am so extremely thankful that I was able to spend almost every minute of that year with my baby! Thinking of how much I would have missed if I would have had to go back to work almost puts me in tears. Trust me it wasn't always smiles and giggles but I wouldn't trade one minute of it for anything. I have so many great memories with Jack already. The first night we came home from the hospital I didn't sleep a wink. We actually had to WAKE him up at about 3 am because I was worried that he had slept so long and hadn't eaten. I of course hovered over his crib all night making sure he was breathing and waiting for him to wake up! If we had only known that we had an excellent eater and sleeper on our hands I wouldn't have been near as worried those first few days!



In his first short year we kept very busy and Jack traveled many miles with his Mom. We kept the road hot from here to Idaho because I think it's very important that he spends a lot of time with his Grandma and Grandpa even though they don't live close. We endured a lot of teasing about where we actually consider residency in Idaho or Utah but the time we spent with Grammy and Grumpy was worth it! Jack also experienced the East Coast twice. In January we went to Washington DC and this summer to Nantucket MA. Hopefully he will have some sort of travel bug like his Mom so I will have a traveling partner! We also experienced our first major health decision with Jack this year. We chose to put him in a corrective helmet to round out his flat head. I was devastated when I learned that my baby would have to sport that ugly helmet for several months but looking back it wasn't all that bad and I am very glad we made the decision that we did. Jack was also a trooper about it and from that point on I knew we had a tough little boy on our hands. There's so much to say about my little man but I won't go into much more except that his dad and I love him SO SO much! We knew our lives would change a year ago today but we didn't realize how much our lives would change for the good. We also didn't realize how much we would enjoy playing trains, knocking over blocks, picking food off the floor, chasing the little monster around, and mostly how quickly you can fall in love with a wrinkly bald little man!

1 comments:

The Sutherland Family said...

HAPPY FIRST BIRHTDAY to Jack!!! He's such a cutie, Have a fun day!